Friday, February 12, 2010

Are the United States of America ';One Nation Under God'; or ';Land of the Free';?

I felt it was worth re-asking the question because I did not mean to forget the countries north and south of us. It's just when you hear something so much, you kind of just forget I guess. Anyway, no offense intended.Are the United States of America ';One Nation Under God'; or ';Land of the Free';?
Former no, latter yes.Are the United States of America ';One Nation Under God'; or ';Land of the Free';?
Well, they are ';one nation';, that's for sure. and if god lives upstairs then you can say the US are ';one nation under god';. In that case they can still be a location on this earth where the free roam the land as they please.


They also used to be the ';home of the brave'; - but they closed the home down once all the brave had gone upstairs to god.
When the pledge was originally written in 1892 it did not contain the words ';under God.'; It remained this way until the words were added by a joint resolution of Congress in 1954, where they have remained until today.





So for 62 years there was no ';under God,'; and for 55 years we've said ';under God.'; Remember this the next time someone says we should keep the words in the pledge for the sake of tradition.





If God exists then the United States, like every other country, is a nation under him. This kind of goes without saying. And if there is no God the statement is false but harmless - certainly I'd prefer a bunch of ticked off atheists than a bunch of ticked off Christians. Christians have a bad track record when it comes to language they find offensive.





';Land of the Free?'; Sure, we're that too. We both agree that ';Free'; is used metaphorically, right? Because I'm not free to insider trade, yell ';Fire!'; in a crowded theatre, or murder your dad. In this sense we're about as ';Free'; as people in any first world country. I think this is a nice little saying that means nothing, so by all means continue saying it if it makes you feel a little better about things. Or don't. I don't care.





Is it an either/or situation? Where's the excluded middle? I figure both sayings are harmless because they are meaningless. Knock yourself out if you want to say them. But don't pretend they have any kind of value, intellectual, spiritual, or otherwise.
Read the rules and the reason for our country--the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.





The declaration mentions the creator in general terms. The constitution (Bill of Rights) explicitly states no laws may be made enforcing belief.





So, millions of arguments about true intent or so on do not matter. These are the rules we agreed to.
';Under god'; is one irritating addition to the pledge of allegiance that our founding fathers would feel ashamed of. It was added in 1954 after years of lobbying by religious groups. Gross insertion of religious meme aimed at children at schools.
It SHOULD be land of the Free, but people take things too far. We can't speak of God or Jesus in a public setting, it seems. We are judged SO harshly for being a Christian because we're not ';accepting';. Since when did acceptance become the ultimate good? Just because society thinks one way doesn't mean I have to agree with it. I should have the authority and the freedome to:


1. Rear my children how I believe (I should be able to spank them without fear of having them stolen from me to be raised by an inept government).


2. Make money (not have taxes increased upon me because I decided not to use credit cards and live a modest life instead of living extravagantly and then asking for help when I've lived beyond my means).


3. Express my thoughts (I am allowed to say what I want to say. I don't care if you interpret them as racism. Believe it or not, sometimes people just SAY things! They don't deeply analyze them all the time! I don't suddenly have empathy for a thief when I realize that they're a different race. If he/she's a thief, to jail they should go!).


4. Determine my own amount of safety (no LAW should tell me to buckle my seatbelt. That's MY decision. I should be able to kill myself if I want to. My body, my decision).


5. Determine who I have sex with (I don't believe that God intended for gay marriages or sex before marriage or divorce, but I don't believe that's the government's place ither).
I think we are moving from ';Under Imaginary Friend'; to ';Land of the Free';





Freedom is the right of all humans, not the right of some.
Listen to the pastafarian. Most of our founding fathers were atheists or Deists. It's a shame that our pledge has been so bastardized. Get your grimey hands off of our pledge Christians! :( please :)
Actually, we are the ';Home of the Brave';
Let's see first what computerization can do to change america, the world of automation.
';Home of the brave';. That's why we always call everybody else ';cowards';.
No it's not one nation under god.. of course it can't be when they wont even let ppl pray in school... in some instances you can't even say AMEN (what is that about?)
Neither, any more.
neither!
:-D and none taken...
Both
It is one nation under God..And you're free to believe in that God or not...
  • free spyware
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment